Saturday, March 24, 2007

The old man

He wore a light green buttoned shirt. A red, dirty tie hung round his neck. He was a little hunch-backed. There was not much of hair left on his head. He was almost bald. But the white strands of hair and the un-countable wrinkles on his face could tell anyone that he is probably around 50 to 60. He had a plastic bag in his hands. And the words ' Giant ' was already sarting to fade. But he held it preciously. He looked shagged, messy and uncleaned.
He looked aimless. And pitiful.
He tapped me-Signs that he was asking for my attention.
I looked back.
He tapped me-Signs that he wanted money for food.
I stared at him.
He tapped again-Signs that he was pleading.
I gave him 2 bucks.
He tapped me-Signs of gratitude.
I nodded.

And when this was going on, none of my cousins or my mom since to have noticed.
When he was standing aside to keep the money that he had got so easily, i looked around the table. Everyone was doing their thing, no one seemed to have noticed what i'd just done. I kept the incident to myself. I wanted no attention from them.

I looked for the man browsing the tables at my side. He was at another table pleading for money. The guy there just shook his head and made a sign of shoo-ing him away. The man walked to the pavement. And he opened his plastic bag. He looked into it. For few minutes. And he started to walk away. Without turning back. And he turned into a corner, and i saw him no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment